Growing up I always loved potato salad but the problem with the recipe is I am used to eating it with full-fat mayonnaise and that seems to be all I can taste. So I decided to make up a fun, easy and tasty potato salad with no weird substitutes or fancy cashew mayonnaise just simple ingredients and something everyone will love!
I like to try my recipes out on family so I took it to my husband's parents house for supper one Friday night. It was a hit! The fresh herbs and vegetables from the garden made it taste the best. I used some olive oil, which I will not do again because I can taste it too much and I want to taste the blending of flavors with the vegetables and herbs, and I used some vinegar which helped bring out the flavors.
I used red potatoes, red onion, celery, fresh parsley, fresh oregano, garlic salt and balsamic vinegar . I like the combination of the crunchy vegetables, the cooked red potatoes and the enhanced flavor of the fresh chopped herbs! It was delightful!
I hope by the picture you can see the texture and the colors of the salad. It is so easy and the potatoes can be cooked ahead of time and put in the fridge to chill before cutting.
Red Potato Salad
6 medium size red potatoes, cooked and diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 c fresh oregano, minced
1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp garlic salt
3 TBS balsamic vinegar (or favorite vinegar)
- Cook potatoes in water until soft.
- Dice up vegetables and fresh herbs and place in large bowl.
- Cool potatoes in fridge or on counter until cool and then dice up potatoes and add to diced vegetables and herbs.
- Add garlic salt (to taste) and add balsamic vinegar.
- Allow the salad to sit in the fridge for 2-4 hours for flavors to blend together.
- Serve with fresh vegetables!